Friday 9 October 2015

Scam Alert: People, Beware Of This Latest Scam In Town!



Someone once shared a BBM broadcast with me. The long and short of it is was people pose as telecoms Customer Care agents, they call you and tell you to switch off your phones for a certain amount of time because of a phantom system upgrade and during the time your phone is off, they call your family pretending to be kidnappers. They then demand 'ransom' from your panic stricken family members.

I dismissed this broadcast as one of those BCs that idle peeople dream up for the sake of sensationalism.

But what happened to me today has turned me to a believer.




I was online when my younger brother rushed to me shouting '' Editor, come quickly, something has happened!!"

He told me someone just called him claiming to be a Road Safety official, and he said a lady had been involved in a serious car accident and when they checked the lady's phone, they saw my brother's number in her dialled calls log. They tried to call him back with the lady's number but her line had no credit. He asked my brother to send them N1,500 credit so that they could, quote, 'make all the necessary calls'.

We were all panicked because my mother had called my brother shortly before the so-called road safety guy called. I wanted to rush out to go buy the recharge card, but something stopped me.We called our mum and she picked up after the fourth try (my mother never picks her calls on time. I will have to have a very serious chat with her when she returns from work today).

My brother called all the female friends on his contact list, even those he was avoiding. Lol. They all picked, so we began to wonder exactly which lady this Road Safety guy was referring to. Then it finally dawned on us that someone was trying to scam us of our hard earned N1,500.

My brother sent a text message to the chap, cursing the fellow to his fourth generation.

DearTOB readers, please always be on alert because our fellow Nigerians are devising new and innovative ways to scam of us of our hard earned money. When faced with similar situations, try not to panic but weigh your options and think your decisions through.


Source: TILB

No comments:

Post a Comment